The San Jose Mercury News reports
that "operator error" ignited an electric- and biodiesel-powered conversion owned by rocker Neil Young:
Flames began in a 1959 Lincoln Continental dubbed LincVolt, which runs on electric batteries and a biodiesel-powered generator, and then spread to the warehouse at 593 Quarry Road in the early morning of Nov. 9, according to Belmont-San Carlos Fire Marshal Jim Palisi and a website devoted to the car.
Young assembled a team of workers in 2008 to convert the 19.5-foot behemoth from gasoline to hybrid power, an effort he chronicled in a four-part film series.
While the exact cause of the fire is still being probed, it seems "to be an operator error that occurred in an untested part of the charging system," Young wrote in a statement. Workers have removed the car's computer and hope it will shed light on the cause.
"We are investigating the components involved with plug-in charging," Young wrote.
Post a Comment